Hansken is a forensic data analysis platform that is widely used for giving access to and insight in data and traces originating from seized digital material to detectives investigating ciminal cases at law enforcement agencies. This introductory Hansken course will teach the basics of Hansken and how to effectively work with Hansken.
The professional training for new Hansken users
The online course Hansken Fundamentals is designed for investigators with no or little experience with Hansken.
- Do you have a lot of experience with Hansken and is the tactical interface no longer a mystery to you? Then you'll probably feel more at ease in the Hansken Advanced user training.
- Do you use Hansken but are no longer a beginner? Then consider the Hansken Intermediate training.
What to expect from this course?
This program provides a solid foundation for working with Hansken. All the knowledge and skills required to get started with Hansken with confidence are addressed. You learn to quickly discover digital traces in large amounts of data and what to do with it.
- Faster and better search in Hansken
- Increased search success
- Accurate files
- Efficient and goal-oriented cooperation
- Know what you are doing
What does the course look like?
- How: Online
- Duration: approximately 5-6 hours (own pace)
- 23 short modules (micro learnings)
- Practical exercises and assignments with explanation/feedback
- Created by colleagues
- Access to the Hansken training environment
What do you need?
- Access to the e-learning (the e-learnings are available within your own organization or by a provider selected by your organization).
- An account for the Hansken Training Environment.
- Access to the Internet.
- Basic digital skills: you can handle the computer.
Send your request for an account for the Hansken training environment to the contact person within your organization. He or she approves the application and has an account created for you. You will then receive your username and password by e-mail, and you can get started right away.
Which skills/knowledge/functionalities will you master after the course?
- You will know where to search.
- You can build a big picture of the seized devices and data using the Hansken homepage.
- You can search quickly, purposefully, and carefully by using scenarios, search questions, collaboration with colleagues and/or an evidence matrix.
- You will be able to search on multiple devices at the same time.
- You are proficient in searching with the most common searches: by text, in e-mail, images, chat, browser history and search history.
- You are aware of the challenges of interpreting date and time, geo-location, unknown, discarded and encrypted data.
- You know when to engage/hire a digital expert and ask the right questions.
- You are skilled in using tags; labels, notes and adding traces to the evidence containers.
- You can extract data from Hansken by reporting and exporting (depending on role and rights).
- You have insight into how information enters Hansken, and which roles are involved.
- You have Hansken's tips & tricks.
- You know how to keep up and keep your knowledge and skills up to date.
I have seen and done a lot of e-learning, but this one is really pleasant! Very clear, dynamic, fresh. Good pace too!
Marieke, digital forensic expert, Dutch national police
After completing the training today, I have to say that I love this setup. In this way it is very user-friendly and there is a good structure in the instruction. The videos are clear and the design makes them easy to search (later).